Feed on
Posts
Comments

Letter to the Editor, the Brooklyn Times, September 11, 1909

tabernacle, or wasLet me say in this connection a few words in regard to the Old Bushwick Reformed Dutch Church. There have been of late many propositions made to extend Bushwick Avenue beyond this old church, and the edifice has been a stumbling block in the way of progress. But we should remember that this church building is the only connecting link in the Eastern District between the dim past and the present. Other cities carefully guard old landmarks, and try to preserve them for the benefit of later generations. Why not spare this venerable structure and extend Bushwick Avenue through Woodpoint Road in a trifling curve around the church?

This is the only landmark of the original town of Bushwick still in existence, that is of public buildings, for under the Dutch regime the church was as much a municipal institution as the Town House or school.

old OLD bushwickIt would be of some value to be able to point out to other parts of the greater city, a building standing in the centre of a plot of land, where two and a half centuries ago, sixteen acres of forest land were cleared for a settlement which has in course of time developed into what is known today as the Eastern District of Brooklyn, a section inhabited by over 600,000 people. If such a section would make a reasonable demand of the city’s government, it would undoubtedly get full consideration. Yours very truly,

EUGENE ARMBRUSTER
263 Eldert Street

Postscript: The Old Bushwick Dutch Reformed Church was bounded by Old Woodpoint Road, Humboldt Street, Conselyea Street and Skillman Avenue. Originally dating from 1720, the church as shown above left was erected in 1829. Despite Armbruster’s plea, it was razed in 1914. —Caz Dolowicz

Caz Dolowicz, a romantic, was born on Sands Street in 1923. A retired New York City Transit Authority tower operator, both his first and third wives were natives of the Eastern District.

Leave a Reply